16 September to 22 September 2019 (Week 37)
NB It has been noticed that there are still club members who don’t complete the race cards (white and pink) correctly. You must please print your first name, surname, club and licence number clearly.
At the end of the run these cards must be placed on the finish boards or in a box provided. Failure to do this could mean that your name will not be in the results.
What’s on the running calendar for the week
Monday 16 September to Sunday 22 September 2019
Sat 21 Sept – Run For A Child – 12hour Challenge
6am – 6pm – Willowbridge Shopping Mall
Sat. 21 Sept. – Swartland 21km – Moorreesburg
Starts 07h30 from the Gene Louw Stadium in Moorreesburg.
Entries will be taken at the start.
Sun. 22 Sept – MSA Multi Sport 10km – Wynberg
Starts at 07h00 from the William Herbert Sportsfield,
Rosmead Ave, Wynberg.
Pre-entries with Top Events or enter on the day.
This is a club incentive run.
Well done to all who completed the Cape Town Marathon on Sunday – you are all winners. To the novices, you all looked happy and comfortable – that was great. Both Nancy and Marlene had very good runs – Marlene (1st) and Nancy (2nd) in their respective age category.
The weather was cool and overcast – but the wind accompanied the runners in Newlands and around the Rondebosch Common and back into the City. Just over 9500 completed the 42km while just over 7000 finished the 10km. From the club there were about 107 members running the marathon while 54 took on the 10km.
First club members home in the 42km were Damian Will (2h54) and Jacky Misroll (3h46). In the 10km – Jonas Gensicke (38.44) and Edwina Solomon (53.47) were the first club runners home.
Thank you to a number of club members who offered goodies to eat and drink on the route – particularly around the Rondebosch Common.
Thank you to Lily for the table laden with fruit at the club tent.
The Woolworth tables just after Harteyvale were very tempting to stop and have a feast.
In the last edition of the club’s newsletter (In Touch) mention was made of a Wine Marathon (“Medoc” in the Bordeaux Region of France). On 12 October 2019 a few wine runs have been arranged at the Meerendal Wine Estate in Durbanville over 42km, 21km
10km and 5km. All with wine at the water stops.
See www.capewinemarathon.co.za for more info. This event does clash with other runs on that date.
- Pre-entries for Nantes 10km (24 Sept) close 22 Sept. at Webtickets. Entries will be taken on the day.
- Pre-entries for the Goodwood 10km (28 Sept.) will be taken at the Goodwood Sports Club – Milton Road on Friday 27 Sept. from 6pm-8pm or on the day at the Military Base.
- Online entries for the Grape Run (21km+14km) 29 Sept. close 21 sept. Postal and fax entries close 17 Sept.
A certain amount of entries may be taken on the day, depending on pre entry demand. The 14km is limited to 1000 runners and the 21km also to 1000 runners.
- Pre-entries for the Cape Gate 10km see Topevents (close 29 Sept) Entries will also be taken at Pinelands Athletic Club on Friday 4 Oct from 5pm – 7pm – as well as at the Cape Gate Shopping Mall also from 5pm -7pm or on the day at the start.
- Pre-entries for the Voet van Afrika 42/21/10k (12 Oct.) close on 30 Sept. The flyer states no late entries. You will need a Champion Chip (the green one) See voetvanafrika.co.za
- Online entries for the Chapmanspeak ( 13 October) – 21km and 10km close on 27 Sept. chapmanpeakhalf.co.za
Cash entries close 20 Sept. at Pick ‘n Pay or cash deposit at FNB. Entries are limited to 2500
- The Bakgat 10km is on Wedenesday 16 Oct at a new venue ie. Bellville High School off Old Paarl Road.
Pre-entries will be taken on Tuesday 15 Oct from 16h00-20h00 at Protea Toyota Voortrekker Road in Bellville.
- Manual entries for the Gun Run (20 Oct) close 29 Sept and online entries close 6 Oct. (www.Topevents)
PLEASE DO NOT LITTER – if you see runners littering remind them about this and/or report them to the race officials.
NB!! You are reminded about the club’s appeal for assistance with:
- Transporting the club’s gazebo to the race events.
- Assisting with the time keeping of the weekly time trials.
- Respecting the neighbours of the club when leaving the clubhouse at any time of the day or night by keeping the noise level down.
- If you can assist in any way please contact firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com
Weekly club group runs:
- Monday to Friday at 05h15 (10-12km) from the BP garage on Forest Drive (the pace is fairly quick)
- Monday, Wednesday and Friday at 05h30 (about 10km) a slower group meet in the parking area opposite the bowling club in St Stephens Road.
- Mondays at 18h00 from the club – 10km around Pinelands (slower groups are formed)
- Tuesdays at 18h00 – Hill Repeats. (Meet at the club)
- Wednesday at 18h00 from the club – 12km to UCT (slower groups are formed)
- Thursdays at 18h00 – 5km + 2.5km Time Trials at the club.
- At times special group runs are arranged, for info send your name and cell number to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Your name will be added to the Pinelands Running Club “WhatsApp” group.
Training with Mercia:-
- General training/ Hill training – Meet 18h00 – Mondays at the club.
- Core and stretching exercises Tuesdays at 18h00 Pinelands Civic Hall (Next to the tennis courts)
Fixtures for August/September/October 2019
21 Sept – Swartland 21km (Moorreesburg)
22 Sept – MSA Multi Sport 10km (Club Incentive)
24 Sept – Nantes 10km ( Club Incentive)
28 Sept – Goodwood 10km
29 Sept – Grape Run 21km/14km
05 Oct. – Paarl Mountain 21km
05 Oct. – Cape Gate 10km/5km
06 Oct – ARD 3 Vlei 10km/5km
09 Oct – Silver Queen 10km
12 Oct – Meirings Poort 21km
12 Oct – Elsies River 10km (Club Incentive)
12 Oct – Voet of Afrika 42k/21k/10k
12 Oct – Cape Wine Marathon (trail run plus wine)
13 Oct – Chappies Challenge 21km/10km
16 Oct – Bakgat 10km
20 Oct – Gun Run 21k/10k
23 Oct – Moore Stephens Night Run 5km +10km (Stellenbosch)
26 Oct – Melkbos 15km
26 Oct – Langebaan Country Club 21km
27 Oct – Don Lock 8km/15km (15k Club Incentive)
Forthcoming Road Events/ Trail Runs which can be entered on line now:
21 Sept. = Run for a Child 12 Hour – 2km loop – Willowbridge – Tygervalley
24 Sept. = Nantes 10km (club incentive) see www.webtickets.
29 Sept. = Grape Run 21k+14k see www.racetraq.co.za Numbers are limited.
06 Oct. = ARD 3 Vlei 10km – www.webtickets or Pick’n Pay
12 Oct = Voet van Afrika (42k/21k) see www.voetvanafrika.co.za
12 Oct. = Van Loveren Vineyards Trail Runs 15k/10k see Entrytime .com
13 Oct. = Chapman’s Peak Challenge 21km see www. chapmanspeakhalf.co.za – numbers are limited.
13 Oct. = Hope Hike Trail Runs 10k/5k/3k – Blaauwklippen Wine Estate see https://www.enter.entryninja.com
20 Oct. = Gun Run 21km + 10km see Top Events – Manual entries close 29 September and online 6 October.
26 Oct. = Melkbos 15km see www.topevents
26 Oct. = Langebaan Country Club 21km/10km/5km see www.racetec.co.za
03 Nov = Landmarks 21km see Topevents
09 Nov = Winelands 42k/21k see Topevents – Cash entries at Sportsmans Warehouses
16 Nov = Mitchells Pass 21km (Ceres) see Topevents
18 Dec. = Sundowner 10km see Topevents.