20 May to 26 May 2019 (Week 21)
Greetings to you all,
What’s on the running calendar for the week
Monday 20 May to Sunday 26 May 2019
Sat. 25 May – CLUB RUN 14 km – Sea Point
Week 2 of the club’s marathon training program is a 14km run.
Meet 07h00 at the Putt-Putt course in Three Anchor Bay for a run along the
Sea Point Promenade to Camps Bay and back. You may want to carry your own water.
Sat. 25 May – 1st Cross Country League for 2019 – Youngsfield
The starting times and distances are as follows:
13h00 – Master Men (60+) Boys u/18,Girls u/20 – 6km – R20.00
13h30 – Boys U/20; Master Men (35-59) – 8km – R20.00
14h15 – Open Men and Women -10km – R20.00
15h15 – Master Women (35 +) – 4km – R20.00
15h45 – Senior Men and Women – 4km – R20.00
Please note entry into the Military Base is via Ottery Road
Sat. 25 May – “Run For A Child” Run – Boston,Bellville
Run as many 1km loops in 12 hours – that is up to you.
You can start at any time between 06h00 and 18h00 at the Alta du Toit Centre, Lincoln Street, Boston, Bellville. It is R200.00 to enter either on the day or pre-enter at www.runforachild.co.za It is for a good cause, a number of club members are known to support events like this.
Sun. 26 May – SPAR WOMEN’S 10km/10km walk + 5km+walk – Green Point
The 10km run starts at 07h00 from the Green Point Common, the 10km walk starts at 07h15 and the 5km run/walk starts at 07h40 also from the Green Point Common. Entries are closed.
The club’s 10-12km run on Saturday to Keurboom Park and back was well supported. The early morning weather was warm, windbreakers were soon taken off. It is good to see new faces joining in.
The FNB 12km on Sunday morning was very well supported over 13000 entered. Final results are not available as yet.
The weather was cool and crisp which became overcast and cold later in the morning. Good to see that a few streets in the city centre were closed to traffic.
Nancy was second in her age category.
- A special marathon training program for novices and other interested members has been drawn up which started on Monday 13 May. This is geared up for the Cape Town Marathon (15 Sept). To see the program and keep up to date on info regarding the program you are welcome to join the WhatsApp group. The link is https://chat.whatsapp.com/CB75PXZz60pLjF44nab891
The program for week two is:
Monday 6km, Tuesday Rest, Wednesday 8km, Thursday 5km time trial, Friday Rest, Saturday 14km run or Spar Women 10km on Sunday
- Entries for the Table Mountain 16km (16 June) close 31 May only 250 entries will be taken. If you ran this event in 2018 you get preferential entry before entries are open to the rest. See the race flyer.
- Pre-entries for the Napier 21km (15 June) are closed. But late entries will be taken at R50.00 extra. (webticket)
PLEASE DO NOT LITTER – if you see runners littering remind them about this and/or report them to the race officials.
NB!! You are reminded about the club’s appeal for assistance with:
- Transporting the club’s gazebo to the race events.
- Assisting with the time keeping of the weekly time trials.
- Respecting the neighbours of the club when leaving the clubhouse at any time of the day or night by keeping the noise level down.
- If you can assist in any way please contact firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com
Weekly club group runs:
- Monday to Friday at 05h15 (10-12km) from the BP garage on Forest Drive (the pace is fairly quick)
- Monday, Wednesday and Friday at 05h30 (about 10km) a slower group meet in the parking area opposite the bowling club in St Stephens Road.
- Mondays at 18h00 from the club – 10km around Pinelands (slower groups are formed)
- Tuesdays at 18h00 – Hill Repeats. (Meet at the club)
- Wednesday at 18h00 from the club – 12km to UCT (slower groups are formed)
- Thursdays at 18h00 – 5km + 2.5km Time Trials at the club.
- At times special group runs are arranged, for info send your name and cell number to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Your name will be added to the Pinelands Running Club “WhatsApp” group.
Training with Mercia:-
- General training/ Hill training – Meet 18h00 – Mondays at the club.
- Core and stretching exercises Tuesdays at 18h00 Pinelands Civic Hall (Next to the tennis courts)
- Cross Country Training – Meet 18h00 – Wednesdays at the club.
Fixtures for June 2019
01 June – Fast and Flat 10km – UWC (Club Incentive)
09 June – Comrades “uprun”
15 June – 2nd Cross County League ( CPUT – Bellville)
16 June – Table Mountain 16km
16 June – Gugulethu 10km
22 June – Mamre 21km
29 June – Spookhill 15km – Somerset West
30 June – 3rd Cross Country League (Nantes-Athlone)
Forthcoming Road Events/ Trail Runs which can be entered on line now:
01 June = Fast and Flat 10km – email@example.com
15 June = Napier 21km – see www.webticket
16 June = Table Mountain 16km www.racetraq.co.za
16 June = Gugs Youth 10km see firstname.lastname@example.org
22 June = Mamre 21km see www.topevents.co.za
22 June = Boland Correctional Services 21km – email@example.comJu
29 June = Spookhill 15km – www.quicket.co.za299
29 June = Orak 12 Hour Race. See www.orak.co.za .pre-entries only
29 June = Knysna 42k/21k – online entries only – open 4 March 42k limited to 1250 and 21k to 7350 see www.knysnamarathonclub.com
30 June 2019 = Mid Year Trail Run (Muratie Wine Estate) see www.trailrun.dirtopia.co.za
07 July 2019 = Victoria Falls 42/21 see www.vicfallsmarathon.com
20 July = Cape Town Festival of Running – www.capetownfestivalofrunning.org.za
03 Aug = PPC Riebeekberg 42/21/10 see www.champoinship.co.za
09 Aug = Totalsports Womens 10km see Totalsportswomensrace.co.za
14 Sept 2019 = Cape Town Marathon see Top Events entries are now open.