Weekly diary for week 39 of 2020
Pinelands Athletic Club
Another weekend with sunshine and rain. Saturday was a joy to run in the country side, along the seafront or just locally. Sunday the rain was back but running in the forest/mountain was still good.
It is now LEVEL ONE of the Lockdown. Social gathering is now up to 100, but as the President said, social distances must still be maintained. Nothing was mentioned about sporting events.
ASA (Athletics South Africa) has issued a statement, advising that they are liaising with the Minister of Sport regarding the easing of the restrictions, even on a limited scale.
Make a note of the following:
- THURSDAY 24 SEPT. Heritage Day 10km/12km social run at 07h00 from the Pinelands Cricket Club car park.
Don’t forget it is also NATIONAL BRAAI DAY, so get the
family together and enjoy the day.
PS: There will also be social trial run/walk on Thursday. Starts at 07h00 from the car park at Rhodes Memorial.
Along the lower contour path to the old quarry and back. Allow 2 hours.
- 31 October/1 November LANDMARKS 10km/15km CHALLENGE
Plot a route – more details next week
CLUB GROUP RUNS
- Mondays & Wednesdays at 16h30 or 17h30 – 18h00 for those who want to run later.
- Saturdays at 07h00 – 10km /12km ??
- Meet in the Pinelands Cricket Club car park.
- Social distancing must be observed. Groups must be in fours. A face mask is a must.
- At a later date, Saturday runs could be in Sea Point or Table View.
Social Trail Runs
Dion Stevens arranges easy trail runs in the Newlands Forest or Cecelia Forest – mostly on a Sunday.( Walkers are welcome) Give your name to Dion (0827308320) he will add your name to the “Social Trail Runs” WhatsApp. advising details.
Training with Mercia:
Mercia Smith has started up her weekly training sessions, which are as follows:
- Mondays – 16h30 Stretching exercise – behind the Pinelands Civic Hall.
- Tues/Wed/Thurs – 16h30 – Sprint/Speed Training – Car Park at Pinelands Station.
- Don’t forget your mask! These times may change as the warmer weather approaches.
Other Group Runs
If there are any other groups who meet regularly (any time) and you are willing to share this info with us please let (Kaare 0724448082) know and I will put the info in the weekly diary.
If you want to form your own group (any time and place) let me know, your info will be included in the Weekly Diary. IT IS NOT SAFE OUT THERE Running in a group is more beneficial.
There are a number of virtual runs in the pipeline.
- CAPE TOWN VIRTUAL MARATHON (18 October)
Online entries close 14 October
The entry fee is R180.00 for the 42km and R130.00 for the 21km.
You will have to run the 42km or 21km on Sunday 18 October.
Woolworths in certain areas will provide feeding tables. Woolworths in Pinelands will have feeding table most probably at Howard Centre. So plan your route.
Entry is via Webtickets. See www.capetownmarathon.com for more info
- Meiringspoort Virtual Run (5km/12.5km/21km) – 10 October between 06h00 and 18h00
Loyalty Entries www.meiringspoort21.com. In return you will get a “Loyalty Status” for a 2021 entry. 2021 is on 9 October.
- FNB – Cape Town 12km Virtual Run (24 Sept.) T-shirts and socks to all who enter. Entries close 22 Sept.
More info see entry ninja or entries@The Capetown 12.com Entry is R195.00
- Spar Women Virtual Challenge
26 Sept. – 06h00 to 18h00- Run any distance you want.
Entry R50.00 – Target 30 000 entries nationwide. Presently there are 5000 entries.
T-Shirt, medal and buffs are available. Can be collected at your Spar.
See www.sparvirtualchallenge co.za
- Sleekgeek Virtual 5km – 1st Sept to 30 Sept
Run/jog/walk 5km as many times as you can in the month.
Adidas shoes as prizes. See www.Sleekgees.co.za
Record your distance on the Adidas Running App on IOS or Android.
- “I LOVE BOOBIES” VIRTUAL RUN – 10 October.
Free entry see www.iloveboobies.co.za
- CHAPMANS’S PEAK SOLO CHALLENGE
Run 21km/10km/5km any time during October.
Start at Velocity Sports Lab Hout Bay – over Chapies and back
Entry is R150.00 with a head scarf. See www.chapmanspeakhalf.co.za
- VIC FALLS VIRTUAL MARATHON
13 December 2020 – 42km/21km/7.5km(fun run) and 10.5km relay.
“Wanna Be” Race this weekend
“ Wanna Be” runs 26 & 27 September 2020
Goodwood 10km and/or Spar Ladies 10km. Do either, or both. Send your times to Lee-ann on 072 274 211.
TIME TRIAL **(NEW INFO)**
Run a 2.5km or 5km time trial every week. The route should be flat.
I would like to encourage as many members as possible to please upload their own results using this link. I am just trying to reduce the workload by having to enter so many time trail results every day. Thanks
If you cannot use the link, only then must you WhatsApp your name, distance and time to Lee-ann on 072 274 2111.
22 Sept. – Roegseena Stevens
23 Sept – Shanaaz Effendie
24 Sept. – Alvin Witten
25 Sept – Mathilda Guler
“ – Ruth Leverton
26 Sept – Alta Folscher
“ – Shireen Simons
27 Sept – Bert Mohr
HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU