12 November to 18 November 2018 (Week 46)
Pinelands Athletic Club
WHAT’S UP THIS WEEK?
Tuesday 13 November at 10am – Two Oceans Ultra entries open for everybody. Blue numbers who missed out last week can also enter at 10am
NB! Please note that entries for the half marathon open on 20 November at 10am
Saturday 17 November – Edgemead Classic 10km – Edgemead
Starts at 06h30 from the Edgemead High School in Letchworth Drive.
Entries will be taken at the start.
This is the last short club incentive for the year.
On Saturday at the Winelands Marathons in Stellenbosch about 4100 runners were pounding the R44 between Somerset West and Stellenbosch. In the 21km there were 2467 finishers and in the 42km there were 1676 finishers. It was not as hot as expected but the back runners in the full marathon felt the heat. The water tables on the marathon route were handing out frozen water sachets! (The organisers must have expected a heatwave). In the half marathon Marlene completed her 20th half and was second in her age category. In the full marathon Nancy was first in her age category. Ruth Leverton gained another milestone – she completed her 10th Winelands 42km and was awarded her permanent number. Kaare completed his 38th Winelands 42km in a time better than expected!
Well done to all who completed the Marathon or Half Marathon. For all the first timers this is a good one to finish.
- All holders of the club’s floating trophies awarded to them at the 2017 Annual Awards are asked to return them to the club on Thursday.
- The club’s Children’s Christmas Party is on Thursday 29 November at the club at 18h00. Please note the following:
Our Annual Christmas party, for our youngsters, aged 0 -12 years, who regularly come to the club on Thursdays, will be held on Thursday 29 November!! If your child/children would like to be part of the fun please email their names, ages and sex to Nancy Will at: email@example.com on or before Monday 19 November in order for their gifts to be ready on the evening.
- The club has two qualified coaches. (Mercia Smith and Sumanthra Moodley) Should you want advice on your running or are planning to do a particular race and require some info, they will assist you.
- The Club’s Annual General Meeting will be held on Thursday 22 November. As per the club’s constitution – the entire committee must stand down. They can be nominated for re-election (if they are available and have the time to serve on the committee). Nominations can only be made by means of a nomination form which will be available electronically shortly.
Notice of the meeting, the agenda and minutes of the previous AGM were electronically sent to club members. If you did not receive such please let us know asap
- Two Oceans 2019 entry system is:-
- Ultra (56km) entries for Blue Number and Yellow Numbers open 8 November 2018 (R500.00) – first 1500 (DONE)
- SA entries open 13 November at 10am – capped at 13000
- HALF MARATHON: Capped at 16000
- Blue and yellow numbers entries open 8 November (R210.00) (DONE)
- Ballot Application for Clubs open 20 Nov – 25 Nov
- Club Draw – 27 November
- General Draw Application – 20 Nov- 25 Nov
- Draw 5 December
- Trail Runs = 12km (R795.00) 24km (R975.00)
4.1 Entries open online 5 December
- Some race calendars have Saturday 1 December as a Koeberg 15km, this is incorrect ! The Telkom (Phoenix) 10km will now take place on 1 December at CPUT and not on Sunday 2 December.
- The Metropolitan 10km (5 Dec.) has been cancelled for safety reasons.
Fixtures for Nov/Dec 2018
17 Nov – Edgemead 10km (Club Incentive)
21 Nov – Niel Joubert 13km Farm Run (Paarl)
24 Nov – Mitchells Plain 21km+10km (21km Club Incentive)
25 Nov – Die Vlakte 42km 21km 10km ( Heidelberg)
01 Dec – Phoenix (ex Telkom) 10km (Bellville)
05 Dec – Metroplitan 10km (CANCELLED)
08 Dec – Avbob 15km (Table View)
09 Dec – Bottelary 21km/10km
12 Dec – Taal Monument 10km (Paarl)
15 Dec – Velocity 21km/10km/10km walk (ATLANTIS)
16 Dec – RCS Gugs (Reconciliation Day) 10km
19 Dec – Sundowner 10km (Waterfront)
26 Dec – Tokai Manor House 8km + 16km
31 Dec – Danger Point 21km /10km
31 Dec – Runners Memorial 8km ( Mouille Point Lighthouse)
Forthcoming Road Events/ Trail Runs which can be entered on line now:
17 Nov. = Edgemead 10km see www.webtickets .co.za
22 Nov. = Dornier Full Moon Run 5km +10km see entryninja.com
24 Nov. = Mitchell’s Plain 21km 10km see www.topevents .co.za
25 Nov. = Die Vlakte 42k/21k/10k see www.aswd.co.za or email firstname.lastname@example.org
01 Dec.= Phoenix 10km see www.allmysports-sa.co.za
09 Dec. = Bottelary 21km/10km see Top Events
12 Dec. = Taal Monument 10km Paarl see www.entrytime.co.za
19 Dec. = Sundowner 10km. see www.topevents.co.za close 12 Dec.
31 Dec = Danger Point 21km – entries – email@example.com
23 Jan 2019 = Jordan Full Moon Run 5km +10km see entryninja.com
26 Jan 2019 = Red Hill 42km +36km see racetraq.co.za
02 Feb 2019 = “27 For Freedom” see Top Events
19 Feb 2019 = Neethlingshof Full moon Run 5km +10km see entryninja.com
03 March 2019 = Kilimanjaro Marathon see www.kilimanjaromarathon.com
07 July 2019 = Victoria Falls 42/21 see www.vicfallsmarathon.com
Club group runs take place as follows:
Monday to Friday at 05h15 (10-12km) from the BP garage on Forest Drive (the pace is fairly quick)
Monday, Wednesday and Friday at 05h30 (about 10km) a slower group meet in the parking area opposite the bowling club in St Stephens Road. Mondays they do hill repeats (very good stamina building).
Mondays at 18h00 from the club – 10km around Pinelands (slower groups are formed)
Wednesday at 18h00 from the club – 12km to UCT (slower groups are formed)
Beginners walking and jogging sessions are held on the Lower Oval in Pinelands at 18h00 during November and December. Starting in January will be the beginner group building up to running a 10km race in March 2019.
At times special group runs are arranged, for info send your name and cell number to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Your name will be added to the Pinelands Running Club “WhatsApp” group
For further information check out the club Web Site at www.pinelandsathleticclub.co.za